Gold Leaf Workshops – Photos

In my desire to pass on this knowledge to other craftsmen, I regularly hold reverse glass gilding workshops where sometimes on a one to one basis & sometimes in groups I teach the techniques of glass decoration that I have researched over the years.

These Gold Leaf workshops are, to my knowledge, the only place where you can cover ALL of the required disciplines to execute an authentic “Victorian” reverse glass sign.

You will leave the studio with a full palette of almost magical glass recipes, fully equipped to continue and develop this wonderful art form.

You will also take home a glass sign that you have made on this course worth over £3,000

For details on costs and dates either call me on 01803 613753 or email me at Chapman_and_smith@btinternet.com

Tags: , , , ,

19 Responses to “Gold Leaf Workshops – Photos”

1. Julie Snook says:

Hi David,
    I loved the video that was posted on facebook. I tried working with Silver foil this week and found that it disappears when encased in glass and fired. If I try to add it to my sand blasted glass, do I use a glue to make it adhere? From you video it looked like you used water. but I am not too sure.

Your work is wonderful and I wish you a great future.

Julie

2. Dave says:

Hi Julie.
    Thanks for the comment on the video glad you enjoyed it.
    I use gelatine diamonds to make the watersize for the gold and silver leaf to stick to the glass. If your sandblasting glass and trying to adhere goldleaf or 12crt gold you wil need to varnish the etched area first for the gold to stick. Once the varnish is dry water gild the leaf on rather than oil size.
    Let me know how it goes…Dave

3. Piaskowanie says:

I just wanted to take half a minute of my time to leave you a comment by saying: please carry on with your articles, I truly likethem.

Thankyou very much,I appreciate your comments.

5. Noel Ashley Griffiths says:

Had to drop a line after seeing your video to say that your work lifts spirits, but made me sad that as an ex signwriter of some years, (now over 52) that I sold out to the pressures, after injury, of the commerce.
    It’s a joy to see someone found what really makes for happiness, to rise in the morning and look forward to making a living, not just earning one. I now find myself hankering for the focus and satisfaction it used to bring. You have a rare skill forged through integrity and love for this art. Power to your elbow, long may you continue.
    Heaven help us if all if we forget the art of turning on the computer, when this has all gone.

Thanks Noel. Glad you enjoyed the film. I certainly see your point about the computer.
    Hope you can get back to it all some day soon…

Dave

7. Oscar says:

Hey David,

As many have said your work is amazing, I wish i could attend a workshop of yours, but I dont think I will ever be on your side of the world anytime soon.

Do you have any advice for someone like me as interested in all of your work who would want to begin to learn this process ?

(from Austin, Texas)

Thanks Oscar… I can only suggest you start looking into Letterheads. It’s a group of artisans willing to share there knowledge and keep these crafts alive. Hopefully one day soon I will be over again in the States teaching ,I look forward to meeting you Oscar.. If I can give you any advice please feel free to email me…

Dave

9. Shazly says:

Hi David,
    Hope that you write a book to help people that can not travel to join your courses ..

thanks for keeping these crafts alive.

10. Scott_J says:

Hi David,

I’ve just started reverse glass painting using oils. May I ask, what is the best medium for longevity? I am framing my art and there is an inch gap from the back. It’s not for daylight to pass through ie. window art.
    Love your stuff and I would love to get some free time to visit. Inspiring!

Scott

Hi Scott. send me an email to here. chapman_and_smith@btinternet.com in the right direction.
    Dave.

12. Adam says:

Good afternoon David,

I have been looking around your website and love what you can do with glass!

When would it be possible to book on to one of your courses?

Keep up the outstanding work!

Kind regards

Adam

13. Mr s.k.shah says:

Absolutely exquisite! A true gift to the signage industry! I love your work! I need to learn this form! I’m in love!

14. Elena says:

Hi David,
    I’m from Russia and just want to say that your art is so amazing that can inspire people all the world! Thank you! I wish you good luck!
    Elena

15. Ed says:

Keeping alive a culture, a past, an exquisite taste. I have no more words. Your art is amazing. Regards from Argentina.

16. J ARZA says:

WOW!! YOU ARE AMAZING .IM A GLASS ARTIST IN MIAMI FL.
    AND HAVE SEEN LOTS OF GLASS ARTIST ,BUT BY FAR YOU CAN DO IT ALL
    IM BLOWN AWAY BECAUSE I KNOW HOW HARD IT IS . CONGRATULATIONS !!!
    DO YOU SELL ANY BOOKS VIDEOS.?

J ARZA

17. michele doran says:

I sand etch glass and carve glass designs. I want to apply gold leaf to the designs. I have a couple of questiions: can you tell me if you have any tutorials on how to do that? Do you know a good resource that tells me step by step how to do it? I want to know if I leave the mask on after I have carved my design and then apply the gold leaf whild the mask is still on. Then do I need to run a sharp blade around the design after it dries and before I remove the mask so the gold leaf doesn’t peel off?

Any help you can give me would be most appreciated,

Michele

18. I have seen a video of your work. I don’t know if it was the same one referred to above. In any case it was very inspiring, as is your web site. I have done a lot of glass gilding myself, although not as elaborate or finished as yours is. Please have a look at my website: michaelimlaystudio.com. I hadn’t done it for years though, since there was no demand for it. However, within the last few years I have done a few glass gilding jobs. There seems to be an increased interest here in New York.
    Perhaps you could help me with a job that has come up. A client wants a large glass mirror made with water gilded gold leaf that fades gradually and evenly from solid gold to clear glass. I have tried sand blasting with a very light and soft medium and also abrading the gold with cotton and various brushes. I can’t seem to get the gradient to be even and smooth though. Any suggestions that you might offer would be greatly appreciated. Do you have a tutorial that answers this question? Thanks, Michael

You might try acid etching fine dots down a sheet of glass Michael. Gild the dots and make them smaller as they fade down the glass. You can do this without acid also, simalar to fine newspaper print but even more spaced apart. Good luck