Kings of Leon – Beautiful War Cover Art

In October 2013 i was commisioned to make the cover artwork for Kings of Leon, Beautiful War. This artwork was designed and sketched over 5 days, a lot of fine detail was added to the drawings.

The inspiration came from a trade card of flowers and lettering sent to me from there design team in New York. We decided to film the process of the sketch through timelapse photography over the 5 days of sketching. To view the film click the tab to the right of my website. Thank you and enjoy the short film.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

15 Responses to “Kings of Leon – Beautiful War Cover Art”

1. Francis says:

Great work as usual. Where is the video ? Can’t find it :-( Another quick question, what software do you use for vectorization? Can’t find out watching the videos. Thanks again.

2. Steve says:

Hi David, Love your work – thanks for sharing. I can’t see the Kings of Leon movie you refer to over on the right. I can only see the John Mayer piece and a few others?

3. [...] Hop on over to his website to see some more pictures showing his process as well as a time lapse video covering the five days of lettering. You can check it out here. [...]

4. Brian Smyth says:

Hello David,

I’m in the process of designing my company website and I have fallen in love with your talent. I just wanted to send a message along to let you know my brother produced the Beautiful War video last month in Oklahoma. It saddens me this amazing work you did wasn’t made part of the video release (at least I can’t remember seeing it, I’m sure I would). If it’s any consolation he said they were a really wonderful, down to earth group of guys so at least there’s that. Either way keep up the good work, you’re an inspiration to us all.

Brian Smyth
    NY/SC USA

5. Brian Smyth says:

oh, also my son’s name is Adrian Smyth, though we pronounce it Smyth(e). Very close though.

Be well,

Brian

6. Gemma says:

Hi David,

This is WONDERFULLY STUNNING!
    I adore your work, genius.

Do you ever sell limited prints?
    I’d love to buy one if so…

best wishes,
    Gemma

7. Gabriel says:

There’s a better way to proof that your job is being done well than working with John Mayer and Kings of Leon? I don’t think so…this is classy!
    Congratulations, GREAT JOB MAN! You deserve it!

8. Kyle W says:

amazing, David.

9. Chris Graham says:

The Kings of Leon Beautiful War artwork is amazing. Great work. Is it possible to buy a print for framing?

10. FotoMurthy says:

Dear Sir, What a phenomenal talent and work you have and do. Inspiring all the way to the last single dot. Cheers on the awesome work. Loads of love, from INDIA

11. Robert dart says:

Dave just watched your time lapse video,Kings of Leon,
    Absolutely stunning mate,a joy to watch,finally convinced
    you are up there with the greats in your trade which you
    have worked so very hard for and countless hours
    perfecting your products
    Amazing,Rob( the frenchmans cousin)

Hey Robert. Thanks for the kind words mate, wish i could cut glass panels as good as you do!

Thanks Brian. Tell your brother his video is just outstanding! appreciate you coming on here to let me know. Many thanks mate!

Brian, I’ll send you an email now. Thanks for the kind words, pitty we missed out on having our film in with your brothers masterpiece. Amazing video for Kings of Leon! thanks mate

Hey Francis. Thanks ,I use Gerber Omega for vectoring. Its the best out there!