Elaborate Victorian Style Mirror

This is one of two mirrors recently completed.  The mirrors were hand made using the traditional Embossing and brilliant cutting techniques from over 100 years ago.

The design was hand sketched ,work was then started in March of 2010 . I took longer than usual to make these mirrors as I wanted to capture the richness of a genuine Victorian piece ,and the wide variety of techniques that the original craftsmen would of have employed. I have put together alot of photos from start to finish to show the procedure , some are taken from different angles to show off the light on the faceted cutting , please excuse the amount of pictures taken.

These are the exact kind of mirrors you would see in Lavish surroundings ,opulent  grand Houses and Beautiful Victorian Pubs around London and the British Isles.  Not to mention places like Las Vegas, Dubai, Monaco where beautiful mirrors and furniture are the norm.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

17 Responses to “Elaborate Victorian Style Mirror”

1. Erik says:

No words can say enough how much I appreciate the masterpiece you made here.
    The work involved so many difficult techniques and to show this, the 170 photo’s are needed for the most of us.
    Seeing the finished composition of the framed panels made my mouth fall open.
    Just amazing!!!

Thankyou Erik thats real nice of you.

3. Bill Riedel says:

Dave, you have gone above and beyond perfection and beauty. I said it before and I’ll say it again, if anyone deserved to be knighted for outstanding work, it certainly is you, much more than some who have been knighted.
    Bill

Well that means alot to me Bill I appreciate it very much, thanks for your great work over these years which I constantly am checking out on all the different forums.. Keep in touch mate.
    Thanks again!
    Dave

5. billy gill says:

Hi David,
    Absolutely sensational work David. How did you manage to handle the piece so large?

Thanks Bill. The large panel was suspended by counter balance weight. On the right of my website you will see some links to films ,press these to see how it was made.
    Dave

7. Dan Mowry says:

This is exquisite. I’m nearly brought to tears of joy seeing this and much of your work.

May I ask? Is something like this done entirely on one side of the glass? If a person were to touch the facing side would it be entirely smooth, untouched glass or does the breath taking dimensionality you create occupy both sides?

Hello Dan. Thanks very much for your nice comment.. Everything is crafted on the back of the glass, the front is completely free of any work.
    Dave

9. Thomas Courboin says:

Hi David,

I’m a Junior designer and artist, and I really appreciate your work, it is as inspiring as it is beautiful. The complexity and the precision with which you work is sensational, I hope I’ll be able to come and visit to see it with my eyes.

Good continuation,

Thomas

10. [...] followup video shows David’s elaborate Victorian style mirror [...]

11. slaoki says:

Dear David,

What a brilliant piece of art you’ve made. I am inspired by all your artworks and pictures as these kind of art glass should introduce more seriously for the new generation.Thanks for sharing those pictures.

Warm regards

Slaoki
    Malaysia

Thankyou .

13. Patrick Curran says:

Hi David,
    I have been to London on 2 occassions. I photographed the old glass in London Pubs.
    I attended the Royal College of Art Conference on British Artists in Glass.
    I marvel at the beauty and craftsmanship of your work ! I am delighted that someone is carrying on the tradition of this craft. The fact that you are willing to share the techniques of the craft is remarkable. I have been doing art glass in the United States for 42 years.
    If you can send me an e-mail address I will send you some pictures of my Victorian etched glass work. I wish you continued success in your beautiful art.
    Patrick United States

14. sergey says:

Hi David, amazing work.
    I’m from Russia, I begin to work with glass
    Interested in the process of etching mica, can share information

Sure not a problem Sergery. What would you like to know?

16. sergey says:

Hi David,
    Thank you for taking the time!!!!
    What is the solution for photo etching ?

17. Brandon says:

This is a phenomenal gallery and you’re craftsmanship is completely unmatched. You’re probably my favorite and most inspiring artist. I really want to see the initial sketches and drawings that you did for the mirror design. Thats one of my favorite parts of the Born & Raised step by step. It really gives insight into your creative process and I can’t tell you how many hours I’ve spent looking at your initial sketches alone. Is there any way that you could add them to this gallery as well?